Thursday, October 28, 2010

Don't contribute to the crap...

Don’t contribute to the crap – Just say NO

Sometime last year I started a just say No campaign which involved all aspects of my life. If it wasn’t good for me I was no longer going to say YES or participate. I decided I needed to do what was good for #1 ME.. Part of this just say NO campaign is also about food choices and with the holidays just around the corner the focus on food will be magnified. Everyday pressure with food is bad enough for me personally. As a bariatric patient I have to make healthy choices everyday and that is hard when our society focuses on large amounts of food (super size) and not to mention the not so healthy food choices. It’s about what kind of crap you can get for $1.00.

Pitch in’s at work go on all year long for baby showers, birthdays and celebrations and I always use to “contribute to the crap” and bring in desserts and goodies. The pitch in ends up being about how many desserts can be brought rather than focusing on the event surrounding the food; it’s the food surrounding the event that counts. Bagel Friday turned into donut and how much crap can you bring in Fridays. I can honestly say that I felt like my blood pressure would rise when I walked into the lunch room on Fridays to find all of the sugary, high caloric, fattening items lying on the counter. It was so bad that I would avoid the kitchen on Friday’s all together.

After surgery I made a vow that I was going to make healthier choices for me and that I deserve to live a happy healthy life. So now not only do I have the just say NO campaign but I also have the “I don’t contribute to the crap” campaign. When it’s time for a pitch in and the holiday parties start happening first I choose whether I want to participate or not. It is not mandatory that I be a part of all the festivities that revolve around food and that is my personal choice. If I choose to participate I sign up to bring a salad, or veggies/fruit or a cheese/meat tray.

Halloween is this weekend, (it’s all about the candy), Thanksgiving is next month (it’s all about who is bringing what favorite dish and the pumpkin pie), and Christmas is next (it’s all about the cookies, the bread, fudge and grandma’s pecan pie).

This year I say join my campaign and “Don’t contribute to the crap” First decide if you want to attend the festivity (not because you feel guilty) and then if asked offer to bring something bariatric friendly and healthy!

Take care of #1 YOU… You deserve to live a happy healthy life!

No comments: