Sunday, June 3, 2012

Keystone Habits - Ever heard of these??

Keystone habits... What are they and how do they affect my everyday life was a question from our guest speaker at group a few weeks ago.

I'm thinking we are going to talk about my "bad habits" and give it a fancy name! I realize that certain behaviors I have tend to lead to those "bad habits" and there are times it feels like a viscous cycle.  Then there are times they feel completely comfortable because it has become an everyday behavior/routine. 

My current comfortable behaviors/routines (stopping every morning to get my Starbucks) or some of my old (munching on something salty and crunchy during the evening shows) can take me down that path of shame and weight regain.  GRRRRRRRRRRRRR.........

Comfortable behaviors are just that "comfortable" and why wouldn't I want comfort? Not gonna lie, sometimes it's just too much for me to figure out where exactly to begin to change those habits!

So here is a thought, this is what I learned about "Keystone habits."
Charles Duhigg explains, so-called "Keystone habits" create a chain reaction that can significantly influence the success of other habits. It's like making five good decisions for the price of one.

Simple breakdown: Trigger-Behavior = Reward
Look at any triggers that cause a behavior/habit which then produces a positive outcome/reward. 

Ex: Getting ready for bed in the evenings, setting out your work out clothes = work out.  Planning/preparing healthy meals on Sunday for the week, dividing/packing into breakfast/lunch/dinner portions  = planned/healthy meals!

Both above examples produce healthy behaviors!

 
So my new plan of attack: Each night before bed I go back to setting out things I need to make my healthy breakfast which will kick start my morning with protein and I will change my route to work!! 
My other one will be to get back to basics with making sure my lunch is packed and ready for the next day.  My salad is made, my jug of decaf tea is made and my lunch bag is packed full of protein.  These were all habits I practiced in the first few years of my post op life and they worked for me.

Oh yes forgot my last one, getting my clothes ready at night to take bandit for a walk in the morning and setting my alarm earlier to give me enough time to walk, get ready, make breakfast and not feel like I'm rushing...

Remembering back all of these habits made me feel good and I love the idea that I now have a name to associate with these habits.
Watch out "Keystone Habits" I'm about to kick some butt and take names!!