Saturday, July 25, 2009

Welcome to my new blog for weight loss surgery patients!

As my first post for this blog let me give you a bit of history about me. I had Roux-en-Y (RNY) gastric bypass in October 2007. I fought with my insurance company for 2 years to cover this surgery and lost the battle but ended up at a new job with bariatric coverage. April of 2008 I started working in the medical field with bariatric patients which had been a passion of mine for quite some time. This was a very exciting time for me. I was at my 6 month mark from surgery and had lost 100lbs. I NEVER thought that was possible in such a short period of time.

In just a few months I will be celebrating my 2-year surgiversary. I can tell you the past 21 months have been more eventful than I ever imagined physically, emotionally and spiritually. In my personal opinion anyone who thinks weight loss surgery is the easy way out is an uneducated person when it comes to bariatric surgery. My personal story is a long one with many bumps in the road which truly has made me stronger and the person I am today!

Bariatric surgery is a very personal decision which requires a major lifestyle change and commitment to a new healthier way of life. One of my goals is to continually be involved in our community, be one of the biggest advocates for bariatric surgery and educate society on obesity as a disease. I leave you with a list of accomplishments I wrote down last year at my 1-year surgery anniversary.


1. Ride my bike for miles with my son and not be in pain
2. Walk 3+ miles without passing out
3. Cross my legs
4. Look down and see my feet
5. No longer having health issues like; sleep apnea, high blood pressure, PCOS, joint pain, extreme back pain
6. Mobility to work outside in the yard
7. Celebrating my 10-year wedding anniversary with a deeper love and bond than I could ever imagine : )
8. Better quality of life/self-esteem
9. Energy/Desire to live life to its fullest
10. Attending the Indianapolis Colts game, walking from the parking lot, past the stadium ½ mile to grab some dinner, walk a ½ mile back to the stadium, up all the stairs to our seats without being winded/exhausted, and the ability to FIT in the seat……

~~~PRICELESS~~~

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats Traci!!! I'm sending love and light and best wishes to this very special project that comes from your heart.
Many blessings, Yvonne McCarthy (Bariatric Girl.com)

meme said...

As usual your passion for something has taken hold and you've found a way to share it with others.. I'm very proud of you for all you've done and been through on your journey and the willingness you've shown to help others on to a bright new beginning if they choose that path..Well done...
Love ya, auntie judy

Nana said...

You amaze more and more each day. I knew from the moment I first held you in my arms you were a special child. You have grown into a wonderful adult. I had my doubts a few times in Jr. High but you made it. You are a wonderful wife and mother and I am so proud that you are my daughter. This journey you have taken over the past almost 2 years has made you a stonger person and you are now out there helping others make the big decision and helping them on their journey. the world is a much better place for having you in it. I love you , Mom