Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Handful Harry...

I have a demon that was a huge part of my life before surgery and I like to call him Handful Harry. Harry was the little gremlin always sitting on my shoulder just waiting for me to grab a handful of something. That something was anything from crackers to Reese’s pieces. Harry sat patiently waiting for me to grab a handful of food and once that happened I was doomed.

He would constantly babble on and on over and over “One more handful won’t hurt.”

Over the course of my journey I have worked on taming that animal through therapy and self-help in hopes to never hear his voice again. There are times when I can feel Mr. Harry peaking over my shoulder in anticipation of me grabbing a handful. This is something I personally struggle with and is a constant reminder to me that the operation was performed on my stomach not my head.
This is a perfect example of a time when having a bariatric friend is a saving grace. When those head games start and you go into panic mode make a call, journal what's going on and how you feel, get on your local website forum and call out to your bariatric extended family. Get support in whatever form you need it! Find a local support group and attend as often as you can.

I am here to help whenever I can no matter how far you are in your journey, no matter what type of surgery, where you live or what program you are in.


What personal struggles are you facing?
What steps do you need to take today to conquer your demons?

No comments: