Thursday, August 6, 2009

When Life Happens...

What do we do in those situations when “life happens?" The new bariatric lifestyle we have adopted becomes habit and part of our daily routine. When life happens and it throws a wrench in our new system how we react can be detrimental in our success.
I recently experienced the loss of my grandfather along with the loss of my long time, four legged, furry companion of 15 years. For me that was the loss of two family members within a short period of each other. Can you say emotional wreck?My initial thoughts are how do I numb this pain and make it disappear? Life happened and I have no desire to face it head on. I would simply prefer to dull the pain by indulging myself in a huge foot long chili cheese dog followed by a Reese’s peanut butter cup blizzard. Once I finished I would embrace the euphoric feeling of my sugar high laughing at the grim reaper screaming take that!
Would I eventually crash from the euphoric feeling and be miserable? Yes… Would the pain still be there? Yes…As a bariatric patient the above mentioned option would not be a wise choice for me. Life is going to happen and we need a backup plan. Personally, I know if I’m not careful emotional eating will undermine my weight loss surgery success. I’m taking this minute by minute, hour by hour and day by day.
The day it happened I chose to take my son on a long bike ride, feel the sun on my face, the wind in my hair and take deep breaths. The following evening I chose to continually keep myself busy by re arranging my bedroom, hanging curtains, dusting and vacuuming. Whenever I slowed down I physically had to take a step back, let myself cry, take a few deep breaths and start another task.
Today my choice is to blog about my personal struggles with you!
Tomorrow is a new day and I again will have to make a choice!
What path will you choose today???

No comments: