Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Restaurant Reflections

This past weekend I was blessed with TWO date nights with my husband. These are rare occasions so we try to make the best of each night that we have for just the two of us.

Friday night consisted of dinner with another couple at one of our favorite restaurants where I was able to order a scrumptious chicken breast with a side salad. Dinner consisted of good conversation and laughter followed by a nice long ride on our motorcycle!

Saturday night was an unexpected night alone and we went to an Italian restaurant which I have not visited since surgery 2 1/2 years ago! I was a bit nervous because when I think Italian I instantly think "Pasta and creamy white sauce full of calories."

While we were sitting in the restaurant I was astounded by the over sized plates of pasta being delivered along with the endless salad and bread sticks. The site of the large quantity of food was almost sickening to my belly. I was reminded of life before Bariatric surgery and how much food I consumed. Before surgery that plate of pasta drowned in white creamy sauce would be devoured along with the endless bread sticks and salad. During the consumption of the food I would feel quite euphoric and not want to stop. An hour later I would be miserable, lethargic and wondering why I put myself through such misery.

To my surprise the appetizer and entree menu offered more than just pasta filled dishes. I ordered off the appetizer menu and to my husband ordered a stuffed chicken breast item off of the dinner menu.

I again am happy to say we both ate off of each others dinners and both took leftovers home.

Once again weight loss surgery has opened my eyes to portion control and how much food we as Americans consume daily!

I'm blessed to have my bariatric tool along with my prime piece of real estate and plan to continue down the path to a healthier life style!

No comments: