Saturday, June 25, 2011

Why is journaling important???

A fellow WLS friend asked me "Why is journaling important?" so I thought I would share my answer with all of my WLS friends!

Journaling for me is accountability along with a reminder of where I have been. It was always ingrained in me “If I bite it, I write it.” I’m a visual person so writing down what I ate helped me stay on track because seeing it in black and white made it feel almost like permanent proof that I could never take back. In my mind if I just said what I ate and how I felt then later I could deny deny deny! This way it actually hurt a bit more when I was admitting in writing what was truly going in my mouth and happening in my environment!

When I journal I actually do it online because it’s easier for me to type while my brain is going 100mph. I write everything from what I ate to how I felt physically/mentally and what was going on in my life. I will write down if it was a good/bad day and detailed events if necessary. It’s been a key part of my journey to show me in black and white what is happening in my environment how I felt about it and finding out if my eating patterns change. It has also been crucial for me as a post op with complications to decipher any patterns of actions/foods/feelings that either were or were not associated with what was going on with me physically.

I like to look back and recall where I have been and be reminded of how far I have come. Those times when I felt like I wasn’t doing well in my journey and the stinking thinking would set in I would go back and read where I had been. We get to a certain point in our journey when we are so focused on what we have not achieved and tend to forget how far we have come. This has always been a great reminder for me and like a mini timeline of my journey!

So my fellow WLS friends what would you write about today??