Monday, July 19, 2010


I remember those days pre-surgery when going to the fair was about what I was going to eat that day. My menu typically consisted of a lemon shakeup, corn dog, corn on the cob and dessert would be the biggest elephant ear I could find.

I just spent the past 4 days at our local 4-H fair because my son was showing hogs. I had mentally prepared my self for the typical atmosphere of 90+ degree weather along with the aroma of fried food and animals. I knew going to the fair would be a non bariatric friendly trip so before each visit I would try to eat a good amount of protein and grab a bottle of water and protein bar to have on hand.

I was surrounded by a plethora of lemon shake ups, corn dogs, elephant ears, funnel cakes, chicken fingers, french fries with cheese, milk shakes etc. I can honestly say I had no desire to indulge in any of the typical fried fair food.

I met some of the most giving people at the fair (who have no idea that I'm a bariatric patient) and were always offering me something to eat, a piece of pie, some french fries, part of their elephant ear etc.. I realized a few years ago I would have taken them up on their offer. Today 2 1/2 + post op I kindly declined their offer and know now that one bite, leads to four which leads to a whole piece.

It feels good to know that I choose the healthier foods these days and my goal is to continue down this path. It may not always be easy but I know in the long run I am worth it :)

1 comment:

RobinV said...

I understand where you are coming from! I have spent every year since I was 10 at the Fair and it was always about "what to eat today!" Now I just eat before I leave home and take a few bottles of water. Though I do miss the milk shakes, I am like you....nothing else tempts me!
Robin V