Monday, July 12, 2010

It’s now been 2 years and 8 months since my gastric bypass surgery. I’ve shared many stories to date about my personal journey, my struggles, my successes and the passion I have for bariatrics.

Life after weight loss surgery is an amazing individual journey. Not only do we experience physical transformations but many of us find that our needs and goals have shifted directions.

My goals included losing weight and living a happy, healthier life but I also had a deep desire to live a more balanced life, gain additional self-awareness and continue to be successful.

I have been a huge advocate for fighting obesity within my community and I love giving back and supporting other patients. I realized that part of working my recovery (of being a food addict) is not only supporting other patients but getting support for myself. I am a patient first so I need direction/guidance and accountability. I’m one who loves to learn and grow and I’m always reading and researching anything that has to do with weight loss surgery. I always follow up with my surgeon, keep in touch with my dietitians and attend support groups whenever possible.

I discovered there is another resource available to me for that extra one on one support I personally need. I had made an important investment in my future and it was time to make an investment in my success.

Just like an athlete who needs a coach to improve performance I was compelled to have someone help me set some clear goals and take the steps necessary to find success. I decided to hire a “Life Coach” to work with me throughout my personal weight loss journey.

During my initial thoughts of hiring a bariatric life coach I contemplated the idea because I felt like investing time and money into me along with my recovery was selfish. How could I justify that when I have a family and home to take care of?

Then the light bulb came on! The question I asked myself was how could I NOT make an investment? This is about my health, my recovery and taking care of number one which is ME! If I don’t take care of myself how can I take care of others?

Coaching is a valuable tool and took me from wanting something to actually achieving it and seeing my goals through completion. Having a life coach has given me an extra level of support and has taken me to the next stage of working my recovery.

I’m very excited about this new stage in my life because I now have the opportunity to give back to the bariatric community on the next level.

I am now a certified life coach who specializes in supporting bariatric patients. Bariatric life coach association (www.bariatriclifecoachassociation.com) will have the opportunity to give back to the bariatric patients and community with personal intensity. I have received the specialized training/education and walked the weight loss surgery path.

We all need to take a moment and reflect on why we chose this journey along with where we want to go, who we want to be and how we will get there.

We deserve to live a happy, healthy life!