Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Power of Self-Esteem

The power of self-esteem is something we tend to forget about. Before weight loss surgery, I can remember times when I would do positive self-talk over and over. I would get just shy of that point where I started to feel good about myself and - WHAM - someone knocked me to my knees.

It could be the way someone looked at me (the elevator look of up and down with a nasty smirk), a small mumble under their breath about my appearance, comments about overweight people and remarks about what I was eating or a mention of obesity in today’s society.

Causes of obesity and self-esteem tend to fuel each other. When a bad experience devastates your confidence we tend to turn to food to soothe the pain. Our minds tell us comfort food will help us face the world again. We eat to cope with low self image, which makes us gain weight and ultimately makes our self-esteem even lower. Double whammy!

What is self-esteem? Basically it is feeling good about yourself mentally and physically! People with high self-esteem convey confidence, feel comfortable about their bodies and believe they are valuable. Surgery and weight loss combined can help you regain some of that lost self-esteem. Positive self-talk and changing your vocabulary will also help motivate yourself to continually feel good.

Try filling in the blank to this question and see how many positive things you come up with. Don’t stop at one thing try for five and push to get ten. We are ALL valuable!

When I’m at my best this is how I am __________________.


Try asking yourself these questions:

1. What are your physical attributes?
2. What skills and abilities do you possess?
3. What type of personality traits do you hold?


No comments: